about 1 month ago
What is a dependent?
For all health benefit provisions with Lyon County School District (LCSD), a dependent is the employee's lawfulspouse, or lawful domestic partner (registered with the Nevada Office of the Secretary of State), or is a natural child, stepchild, or legally adopted child of either the member (employee), employee's spouse, or employee's domestic partner provided the child is under the age of 26.
- A newborn will be eligible for coverage effective on date of birth. The member must enroll newborn within 31 days or coverage will cease. Please contact the Benefits department after birth of newborn to complete the process.
- A newly adopted child, or a child whom the employee has permanent legal guardianship, is eligible for coverage effective the date of adoption or permanent legal guardianship. The member must enroll child within 31 days or coverage will cease. Please contact the Benefits department after adoption or permanent legal guardianship to complete the process.
- Child is age 26 or older and is incapable of self-employment, self-care and is dependent on employee for support and maintenance due to a physical or mental disability and the condition originated prior to the child reaching age 26.
- Open enrollment; occurs in November of current calendar year. These changes would be effective January 1st.
- During a qualifying event; see definition below.